Monday, October 11, 2010

Gay-friendly and freaking proud of it!

"Happy Coming Out Day! Oh, and if any you think gays and lesbians should be kicked out of the military, banned from marriage, denied visitation rights, not allowed to adopt children or believe in any of this "love this sinner, hate the sin" nonesense, please "out" yourself from my life. Your hateful ignorance is killing children and harshing my mellow. Thank you." --- from my dear friend Marlene Moxness, from her facebook status. She's brilliant, witty, well-read and an equal-rights fighter.

I really don't understand what the hell is wrong with people that think a person doesn't deserve the same rights as everyone else just because they are gay. Just because the are committed to being themselves. Just because they choose to love someone with all their might. Just because they don't have some of the same beliefs as others. Just because.

If you're not going to grant gays the same rights as straights you might as well take away my right to vote and put blacks back in a separate bathroom. Seriously! It's 2010, we should be passed this! It shouldn't be a big deal who people choose to love! At least they are choosing to love rather than hate. At least they are fully being themselves rather than conforming to someone else's idea of a good person. (And if anyone brings the Bible into this so help me, I'll find a way to smite you down myself!)

I'm proud of all my gay friends! I'm proud of all the kids choosing to come out at a young age, middle/high school is hard enough and here they are saying they are proud to be themselves. I'm proud of the gay parents that take in a child given up by it's birth parents and love it whole-heartedly. I'm proud of the parents who accept their gay child with open arms. I'm a better person because of many things, but one of those things is the fact that I allow differences to help form my friendships.

Happy Coming Out Day! Be proud of who you are and know that you are loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment