As a single woman I hate Valentines Day. I think it's a Hallmark holiday that was invented to pull money out of pockets and into stores. And I think it's ridiculous to designate a day to tell someone you love them. That should be done on a daily basis.
And being single makes it that much worse. I don't think I need to babble in this post about how much being single sucks during today. We've all been there. It's nothing new.
But I will also say that I haven't wallowed in today either. It was just another day for me. I came home from a 2 week stint in house-sitting, both my cat and myself are extremely happy to be back in my one-room palace. I went grocery shopping, and saved $15 with the coupons I brought with. (I need to start using coupons more often, that was awesome to watch the total drop with each barcode scan. And now I'm cleaning, midst pausing to do things like this post and check facebook. And my cat, my pal hops up on my lap every time I sit down at my desk.
So in honor of today, the designated day of love, hearts, pink, romance, here is my top 10 list of things I love, right here, right now. In no particular order...
1. My mom. She just simply rocks. ROCKS.
2. New friends. I've recently made a new friend and I have found myself genuinely enjoying our time together. Any new friend who makes you laugh like we do when we're together is worth keeping.
3. Diet coke. I don't drink soda nearly as much as I used to, but when I do that stuff is beyond delicious.
4. My cat. As I type this, he is on my lap, head resting on my forearm. And the fact that his head jiggles as I type doesn't bother his slumber.
5. My place. Yes, it's one room. Yes, my neighbors could not exist and I'd be OK. But it is mine. And after being gone for 2 weeks, right now it's wonderful.
6. Music. Prince just came on the radio "Lets go crazy. Lets get nuts. Are we going to let the elevator bring us down? Oh no, lets go!" I love that song. And I love music. Nothing completes a raw emotion better than the perfect song.
7. The snow. I know people complain about it, but that does no good. I think it's lovely. It's cold, white, and wraps the world in silence. Plus not driving in snow makes it that much easier to like it.
8. Coffee. With my 2 splendas and some half and half. Mmmmm yum.
9. Reading. I really really love reading.
10. The fact that I have the ability to love and see the good in this world. That is amazing.
Happy Heart Day!