Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Coveted Nook

This is what I need. A spot that is mine with a desk that is used and loved and carries with it the words and wishes of it's past writers. This woman pegged the desire and fulfillment of a writer's nook.

It's simply lovely.

Plus her blog is fantastic, poetic, beautiful, charming, honest and a joy to read.

I'm now on a mission to find my dream writing desk. I had a desk in NM that I adored, it was given to me from a friend when he moved and I had to give it to a friend to move back home. And here in my beloved home state I have a desk that I love, my grandpa made it when I was about 10 or 11. But it just doesn't serve my writing needs, emotionally or physically. Yet I can't bear to get rid of it, especially now that Grandpa is no longer here. It's a piece of him I have to hold onto. But I need a desk that has worn, dark wood, many drawers, roughed edges, perhaps a mismatched handle of two. (And yes, it may seem that I like junk, but that's not it. I like things with a history.) I want a desk where I can write my words, dreams, wishes, hopes, rants all the while knowing that the desk has supported other peoples words before me. It may sound odd to those that don't revel in writing, but I think everyone can relate to having your "spot." The place where it's yours, you go to do what makes you happy, what you're good at, to just get away.

Craigslist, garage sales and second hand stores here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I have that feeling for my sewing desk. I found it at a rummage sale. It has a lot of imperfections, just like its owner. But the longer I have it, the harder it is to think of replacing it. Good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shall we go back to Stillwater and see if that old desk is there?

    ReplyDelete