Saturday, February 19, 2011

An epiphany

I love it when something hits me like a ton of bricks. Last night I was a bit lost and then this morning I totally get it.

I was told second hand that Chuck's oldest, K, doesn't like me. But this only comes out when he's telling her to do something and she doesn't want to listen. "You never told me to brush my teeth till Sarah came!" she whines. And with a that's-ridiculous guffaw Chuck responds "That is not true and you know it." I was really bothered by the fact that she said she doesn't like me. Oddly, it hurt my feelings.

But then this morning I realized that I have been anointed into parenthood. If they say they don't like you, you must be doing something right!

I shamefully remember saying something similar to my mother several times throughout my childhood. And K has said it to Chuck. But I'm not a parent, I shouldn't get those words. Then again, I am an adult whom she has to listen to and as a kid having another grown-up telling you what to do is the last thing you want.

But tonight I stand proud, as a non-parent parent, and say I'm succeeding at this job! They don't have to like me right now, because I will always love them, but they do have to do what I say.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! Do I love reading that or what? It is all about respect for what a parent says-they need to know that you mean what you say and say what you mean and that you will always follow through. It's the consistency. Yea you!!

    ReplyDelete