Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sanctity of Equal Rights

So we all know I'm a left-wing-bleeding-heart liberal and damn proud of it. I also get more offended when someone insults someone else or something I believe in more than when someone insults me. And we also know that I'm a sucker for bad reality TV.

I'm going to tie all of this together, I promise.

Reality TV; I will watch just about any episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and I have watched the wedding of Kim and basketball player Kris Humphries a few times in the last few weeks.

Well, those 2 stars were married for 72 days before Kim filed for divorce. After a $2 million ring and a nearly $10 million wedding, they are calling it quits.

And people of the same sex can't get married for ridiculous reasons but among them is because it insults the institution of marriage. I'm sorry, WHAT???

This has been floating around facebook and it just makes me giggle.

Lets look at some stats, shall we?
1. Elizabeth Taylor was married how many times? According to wikipedia she was married 8 times and twice was to the same man! Clearly she believed in "till death do us part." Multiple times.
2. Britney Spears has been married and divorced twice. And her first marriage lasted 72 hours. Thank you, Vegas for that quality, from-the-heart marriage.
3. Larry King has been married 8 times as well. One, I can't believe anyone would be attracted to Larry King. And two, it's shocking that he convinced 8 women to come to bed with him. Ick, but that is beside the point. He clearly worked hard to hold the institution of marriage at a high level.
4. Mickey Rooney, 8 marriages.
5. Zsa Zsa Gabor, 9 times.
6. Marilyn Monroe, 3 times.
7. Jennifer Lopez, 3 times.
8. Frank Sinatra, 4 times.
9. My father, 3 times.
10. My grandfather, twice.

And I get it, things don't work out. People change. Mistakes are made. People fall out of love. People stop caring for one another. Divorce happens. And that is OK.

The issue at hand is that people are not allowing everyone to love whomever they choose because allowing people of the same sex to marry one another "insults and lowers the sanctity of marriage." And can someone tell me how that is exactly? Gay people are no different in their love for one another than straight people. They love someone with all their heart and soul like anyone else. They also make mistakes and change like anyone else.

Maybe we need to stop looking at it as allowing gay people the right to get married, but more like allowing them the same miserable moments of divorce too. Just kidding.

But seriously, Kim Kardashian could get married and spend millions and then say "Eh, changed my mind" in less than 3 months and we can't allow gay people the same opportunity? It is so stupid.

Everyone should be allowed to say "I want to love you and only you forever." And if it doesn't work out, they can join the ranks of over half the population and end it. Marriage takes work, any relationship takes work. Just because someone loves someone of the same sex does not mean they aren't willing to promise and love and work with a partner to better their life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment