Sunday, November 22, 2009

The feel of completion

I think I really do work well under pressure. I used to say that in college while I was procrastinating writing a paper, I was really "giving myself the chance to work well under pressure." What a load of crap it was back then. I was just lazy and didn't want to put in the effort. Oddly enough though, on papers I really cared about I still got a B or better.

But now, I do think I work well under pressure. I just finished my latest writing assignment, and just in time too. I've been rewriting for the last 10 days or so and not really feeling it. I sent it to my mom for her view on things and she helped a lot. Thanks Mom!

In theatre I was great under pressure. Most of the time. I used to tell fellow crew members and cast mates "The show is going to open whether we are ready or not. So lets stop freaking out and just do our job." And sure enough, we were ready opening night because we had to be.

And my assignments due date was creeping up on me whether my piece was done or not. So I HAD to finish it.

I really am my own worst critic. When I think it sucks, I let fresh eyes read it and I suddenly have a new view. With a few tweaks here and many punctuation fixes there, I had a completed article.

And man, does that feel good. It always feels nice to finish something that you've started. But when it's something creative and to know that the finished piece is your thoughts, emotions, heart is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment