Sunday, November 8, 2009

NaNoWriMo

So November is National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo to the folks that speak the lingo. There is a website, a contest, all sorts of stuff that go along with this. I signed up on the website before I realized that it is really official. You get a profile, a place to sum up your novel, your word count, your title.

And I have to say I haven't written squat.

For a few reasons. One, I'm trying to finish up my next, and might I add, second to last assignment for my class. (I'm ready to be done with this class. I just want to write and send out my stuff.) And two, I have the hardest time with fiction. So much so that I don't even want to attempt it.

I get great ideas, cool snipets of a scene, a few fantastic lines of dialogue but I can never get them to go anywhere.

Perhaps this is why I took the class, you ask??? Well, yes and no. I find I am very good and enjoy writing personal essays and don't think I have enough gumption to stick with fiction.

Or I'm just lazy.

The one story that has been roaming in my head for several years I started as a play. But I found after the first 2 scenes it was all stage direction and not dialogue. And talking between characters is what keeps a play afloat. So I shelved the play idea. And a few years later I picked it up again to turn it into a story. I have an idea of who the main character is, and why she has done what she has done, but I am unsure of the rest, or how she gets back to where she needs to be.

All very fuzzy and unclear, I know.

Hence why I haven't written anything. Nada. Zilch.

I did try writing about the story. Sort of talking it out to myself on paper/micorsoft word. Basically writing about what I want to happen and why. Just to see if that got any creative something flowing. And perhaps a trickle started. I'm not sure.

Needless to say I am not fully participating in NaNoWriMo. But I started on something in a way that maybe worked for me.

My next assignment, however I think is going to be a good one. Bus riding, stereotypes, human interaction, the nature of judgment. I might even interview some fellow bus riders. Which could turn into a story all it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment