Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's about time

I didn't get a chance to see the President's speech tonight. I was having drinks and a scrumptious slice of cheesecake with a friend. But when I got home I caught the last 10 minutes or so. As I was hanging up my coat and took a look at the TV I was pleased with what I saw. A black man in charge of the country that I am living in, a white man second in command and to top it off, a white woman sitting with them, proud and strong.

My, how far we have come. And I'm not even one to talk. I wasn't around for the Civil Rights Movement, or when women first got the right to vote. I have not lived in much struggle and turmoil in comparison to what others in this country have gone through. However, knowing where we were and how far we have come, and understanding how far we have left to go, I was quite overcome with a sense of pride when I looked at our President, VP and Speaker of the House tonight.

I'm so glad I voted the way I did. I know it's a slow process; recovering from the deficit, getting this country back on it's feet, having a sense of pride about the country we live in. But I, in no way doubt, that we can get there.

I have said this a few times before, heres to you Mr. President! I'm so proud to say those words!

No comments:

Post a Comment