Saturday, January 24, 2009

Theatre

I was at my "second" job last night. And I use the quotes because I rarely work there, honestly don't want to work there, and have a very bitter taste in my mouth when I talk about it. I work box office at Illusion Theatre, I have been with them on and off for 10 years. I started as a shop intern for two summers in college and have done running crew for one other show and numerous box office appearances since. My heart just isn't in the box office position. It never has been. Some people like to be paid to sit around and do nothing for the majority of the time they are at work, it drives me crazy. It is also a tad frustrating that I gave that company my resume countless times throughout college and after to do more intense technical work for them and their productions and I was never asked to join their staff. Now, one could say that I didn't pursue it hard enough, which may be true. But you'd stop pursuing something too if you saw no response from the company, right?

I used to work box office because I thought it'd be my "in" with them. But it turns out I'm just another one who gives tickets to patrons and counts money at the end of the night. Which is a needed job and I commend the people that do do it. But it's not for me. Every time I sign myself up for a shift and that night comes I piss and moan about how I don't want to go.

I know I have taken a hiatus from theatre, but I'm starting to think I'd like to get back into it. And I'd like it not to be doing box office. I want to be on running crew, run a board or a spot for a show, perhaps even act. I haven't acted in 7 or 8 years, haven't auditioned in at least 10, have no head shot and no clue how to get started. But it could be exciting to be doing what I claimed was my passion for so long, but with a fresh face turned to it.

It's been on my mind for a while now, this is the first time I've put it down in words. I guess now I'm committed. I have to do something or I'll have to eat my words later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment