Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A complete 180 degree turn

I feel very Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde about this rehearsal process right now. I was brutally reminded today of why I stopped doing theatre, all the anger and frustration and the yelling. Lord, the yelling.

I'm sure many of you are thinking "But Riley, you are loud. Like, really loud." And that fact I am very aware of. But I am rarely loud with a tone of anger behind it. Or at least it's not directed at someone. I'm just loud. It's when I'm telling a story, or going on a rant, or Seinfelding as a friend in Las Cruces called it. I rarely get loud in anger at someone.

I was yelled at by my old band teacher today. Are you kidding me?! I am no longer your student, you can not treat me like that! And I really felt for the kids who are trying to run this show. When a teacher turns around and litterally tells you to get your shit together, or there is going to be trouble, all you want to do is say "Fine. I quit." No one deserves to be treated like that.

And you know what the funny thing is? The kids are the good ones. They are trying their hardest and wanting to do a good job. It's not like they sit there in rehearsal and say "Hey, you know we haven't seen any of the teachers fly off the handle in about 20 mintues. Lets see if we can piss them off." It's the teachers and the adults that are all pissy and throwing notebooks on the floor and storming around the theatre in a huff.

It is plain annoying.

Come on, teachers, adults, directors. Remember that the actors and crew are high school students, who need to learn, who want to learn, and most importantly are completely unable to do so if all you do is yell. Take the time to teach. That is your job anyway.

From what I know of the business, this is pretty normal. People are pissed, things aren't done on time, things are pushed to the last minute, and people yell. I just know that it can be easier. Or at least less angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment