Tuesday, December 1, 2009

'Tis the season of giving...

...but only when it's convenient for you.

I guess perhaps I should start off with the good things from today. At work today my fellow cafe severs and I got 51 books purchased/donated to our holiday book drive! Every year Barnes and Noble picks a charity to donate books to. While I was in Las Cruces we did Big Brothers Big Sisters, last year at my store was The United Way. And this year we are giving books to People Serving People (a family shelter) and the pediatrics ward of HCMC.

I had given up a while back because people just seemed annoyed with what I said, or thought they had to bring in a book rather than just buy the one I was showing them, didn't comprehend the idea of the donation and thought I was offering them a book for their own child. One lady even said "I hate kids." But one of my managers brought it up today and reminded me not to get discouraged by a few "nos" So I tried again. And got almost all of my regulars to buy a book a donate it! It was great. And we had books that were $4 or less, so after spending $3-5 on a daily coffee, $4 for a book was nothing.

But I do have to document some of the ridiculous excuses I heard today. Keep in mind these books are going to kids who are spending Christmas in a shelter or the hospital and these people wouldn't purchase a $3.99 book to donate.

Customer "I don't have time."
Me "Don't have time? All you have to do is buy it like you are buying your drink right now."

Customer "It's a sad world we are living in, parents need to take better care of their children."
What I wanted to say "It's a sad world that you won't give a child in a shelter a book." I, however said nothing.

Customer "I'm unemployed."
What I wanted to say "Yet you have the money for a coffee cake and a large coffee. Interesting." Again, kept my mouth shut.

I took my tips from today and bought a book to donate. And I do have to say that more people were saying yes than were saying no which was great. But I found it interesting that customers would say "I can't" when I can see them digging through their numerous 20's in their wallet for a few 1's. A regular of mine who I am not sure if he has a job or not, bought a $4 book and donated it. And then after him 3 Suits came in and ordered coffee, wouldn't give me and yes or a no to purchasing a book and donating it, just rolled their eyes (yep, seriously) and said "What's the damage?" The damage Sir, is you. You are the damage for not helping out the kids that may be taking care of your stingy ass one day. But again I said nothing.

I just don't get it. I don't have money coming out my ears. I have to make a budget every week for where my money goes. Yet every time I walk by a Salvation Army bucket I drop in change, I donated a book today rather than buying myself a treat after work. Is it just me or is it the fact that the more money you have the less likely you are to be willing to give it away? Maybe it's because the people with less money can relate to the ones receiving the donation.

But in general I think it's good karma to help out one another. Every little bit helps, and if we all do a little bit, think how much we can change.

Good grief, listen to me. Bleeding heart liberal to the core. But it's true. And I can't help myself. My mama raised me right. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

1 comment:

  1. all right, Sarah--way to make a difference every day!!

    ReplyDelete