Thursday, January 6, 2011

Never ask a woman her weight or age

Unless she wants to tell you! I've lost 6 pounds since Christmas! I'm at a new low and I'm stoked!

I don't diet, I like to eat too much. But lucky for me I like yummy, mostly healthy things. There were a few things I did that helped. Since right around Thanksgiving I have not allowed myself any of our bakery items at work. I used to get a Reece's Peanut Butter Cookie almost every day, I was on a Rice Krispie Treat kick for a while, and our Blueberry Muffins are so moist and yummy. But that needed to stop, for me and my wallet. And both Chuck and I committed to no more fast food. When I wasn't getting around mostly by car, I rarely went to a fast food joint. But the drive-throughs are so easy and accessible in a car. And with the exception of a few late-night slip-ups, we've both done very well. At home both Chuck and I are huge fans of rice and veggies, sauteed with garlic and spices, hmmmmmmm delish!

And we've both been working out. Running on the treadmill, doing sit-ups together, it's so much easier and more fun when you have someone to meet goals with.

That's it. No South Beach, no Atkins (Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack so I really don't think his diet is all that great,) no crazy-latest-trend diet. Eat less and exercise more.

I've given up Diet Coke and fake sweeteners, partly for the $20 bet Chuck and I have going, but partly because they are bad for you. I've stopped the bakery goodness from work and I've stopped the fast food. I haven't stopped the grilled cheese and tomato soup the weekends the girls here. We both indulge in a pizza every so often, the wine is still flowing in the house, and I still like my salty-crunchyness. But I'm more aware of what I'm eating and when I'm about to lazy-up on the couch, I go work out.

In fact I count last night as a success. I was at a gathering with good family friends and there were plates upon plates of cheeses, breads, dips, crackers. I had a small plate of dip and chips and then walked away with my wine. After about 10 minutes I found myself no longer thinking about the fatty goodness in the kitchen.

I also need to point out that I've never been one to step on the scale, to take note of what I eat, to work-out on a consistent basis. But I've realized that I like seeing the scale go down, and I like the feeling of being healthier. A month ago my low on the scale is now my high. I'm just waiting to get past the set of 10. By that I mean going from 130 to 129. And I pick those numbers because 1. they are not mine and 2. they are so far from not mine, it's comical.

And I'd also like to say that yes I avoided the cheeses and breads last night, but tonight I totally just ate a Chicken Pot Pie, in something like 3 minutes. No shame in my game, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment