Monday, January 3, 2011

All is calm

My Christmas was quiet. Calm, serene, comfortable, yet lovely and fun and filled with joy. Christmas eve Chuck and I went to my mom's for a 3 or 4 course meal that included a trifle for dessert, some wine (of course,) and some sort of champagne/grapefruit drink. We opened presents, laughed genuinely enjoyed each others company.


This is my mom's lovely tree. Not too bad a shot, if I do say so myself.

I gotta say, this year it was really nice to not have several places to go to. Every year in my past we went to my Grandparents house and in the later year that became the step-uncles house for Christmas Eve. But I think now that Grandpa has passed invites for things like that will no longer be. That sounds sad and that isn't my intention. We only saw that side of the family at Christmas and perhaps a graduation party, but that was it. And spending the Holidays with people who are close to my heart is what matters.


Me and my mom. With a bunch of sparkely stuff in focus in the foreground.


I got a new, lusted-after, much-needed, warm and stylish pair of winter boots from my mom! And I'm so excited! My old ones were big, ugly, 3-sizes-too-big, clunky man boots and they are going to the charity! Because I'm now warm and stylish!

The next day, Christmas day, my mom came over after we picked up the girls for breakfast of Cinnamon Rolls, and mad present opening! I remember some Christmases we would all take turns opening presents, which is all nice and good, to watch the people you care for open a gift you gave them. But with 2 kids and one of them not understanding Christmas, she just gets the fact that she is getting new things, it's a little tough and also becomes totally not worth trying to take turns. We just ripped into our gifts, hollering things like "Oh cool!" "Honey, look!" "Hey Dad, this is awesome!" It was sheer joy to see each one of us loving what was given. I got snow pants from my honey, which was awesome and a total surprise. He's going to teach my to snow board this winter, and I'll be able to use my new snow pants!


This was the aftermath. Awesome.

We spent the rest of the day not leaving the house. We put in A Christmas Story, the best Christmas movie ever, we all took naps, the 9 year old played with her new microscope, we read stories, we had some of Chuck's family stop over with wine and some gifts. Chuck and I discovered a bonus of having people come to you, when the night is over we had about 5 or 6 extra bottles of wine. We took it easy and enjoyed our day. It was perfect. The Sunday after Christmas we went over to my second parents house for a chili dinner. I love going over there. They are family and welcomed in my man and his children like they'd known them for years. There were laughs, hugs, wine, family photos, and gifts. It was a good night.

This Christmas was so much more than I thought. I'm so head-over-heels with the boy I'm living with that sometimes I am at a loss for words. We decorated together, we shopped together, we were more excited to watch the other person open their gifts than our own, we knew the season was going to be good, but the fact that we spent it together makes it so wonderful.


He'll take nerdy pictures like this with me! :-) His daughter took this after the 3 of us decorated our tree.


Our tree, post-decoration. And all 7 of our stockings for just 4 of us. I love Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment