Thursday, July 16, 2009

MTV made me tear up

I am house-sitting this week and we all know that I love my cable TV when I'm house-sitting. And I tend to spend much of my time on MTV. Don't judge, there is no shame in my game. I'm aware of how shitty that station is. But it's my thing.

Anyway, on MTV there is a show called 16 and Pregnant. And it has followed around 3 or 5 teens who are pregnant and their journey through those 9 months. The one thing that struck me was they all have Southern accents. Now I know there are pregnant teens all over but the fact the only ones on this MTV documentary are from the South doesn't bode well for the stereotypes of the South.

I'm not saying. I'm just saying.

But the one episode that has sucked me in is a young couple who have chosen to give their baby up for adoption. Against their parents wishes I might add. Which is a whole other topic that I can't get into right now.

Right now I need to write about how mature these two teens are. When they first met with the adoptive parents they were asked "Why do you want us to adopt your baby?" And this girl's response blew me away. She said that she knows that they can give her baby a much better life than they could. She wants her baby to have more than she had and she knows the adoptive parents can give her that.

I am very impressed. Those are some big words filled with a very grown-up decision that is rare in a teenager.

Right after she gave birth both birth parents were hugging and saying through their tears "We can do this. We have to do this. She is going to be so happy and so much better off."

Then watching these two teen parents try to give up their baby girl was just so heart breaking. The adoptive mother gave the birth mother a bracelet with a heart on it that said "Always in my heart" Both mothers have one, and there is one for the baby as well.

I wouldn't wish a teen pregnancy on anyone, and I also wouldn't wish having to give up a baby on anyone either. Neither situation is ideal. But I truly commend these two teens for making a good decision and giving their baby to someone who can give her the care she needs. That has got to be one of the hardest things someone can face and to decide to do it at 16...

I never thought I'd write a blog on a show from MTV. And I never thought a show from MTV would make me tear up. But there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment