Sunday, October 5, 2008

Back where I started from

So I have arrived back in Minneapolis and it's a weird feeling. It's so nice to be back in my city but knowing what I left behind, just has me in a pendulum of emotions. The room I'm staying in at my mom's house was so full of my stuff last night that there was barely room for me. Now I have the task of unpacking the stuff I'll need and repacking the stuff that can wait until I move into my own place. Some times all I feel like I'm doing is moving things around rather than doing anything productive. And maybe I am.

The rest of the trip went well. We stopped at the Corn Palace and that was one of the tackiest things I have ever seen. We stayed in Marshall because I wanted to know why someone decided to build a building and cover it with corn. Turns out the story isn't exciting at all. I was hoping for some nut-job who was bored or something like Field of Dreams, but no. The locals just wanted to put Marshall on the map and cover a building with corn. The inside is just a stadium where basketball games are played and concerts are held. But seeing the thing at night all lit up, all that came out of my mouth was "Oh my God!" It was awesomely tacky.

We also stopped at Wall Drug. Why I have never been there, I have no idea. That place was full of kitsch, everything that has no purpose was sold in every store. I highly recommend that place as a stop every time you drive through South Dakota.

I have already been apartment hunting. Mom and I went out and drove around and got phone numbers off of apartment buildings and tomorrow is the day I call and make appointments to see the places. Plus I have to go get my job all set up. That is a tomorrow thing too. Goodness Monday comes again and it's back to work.

If I stop and think about everything that involves this move, both in what I have done/need to do and emotionally I'll start to cry again. Moving is hard. And nothing makes it any easier. I sometimes feel so lost I can't put it into words. And then I'll see something, or remember something and I know that this is where I need to be.

I have some wine, my mom just made a fire in the fireplace, and I'm going to start making a scarf for a friend in Las Cruces. So tonight is a good night. I know I said I'd post pictures from the drive, but that is just going to have to wait. Right now, that isn't very high on the priority list.

Stay tuned, back home and it's fall. A whole new set of things is in-store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment