Friday, November 7, 2008

The eve of my weekend

My first day off in 9 days is tomorrow! And I'm stoked. I plan on running one errand, grabbing coffee on the way home and then sitting in my cozy bed and reading and writing all day. Jealous?

This week at work has been good. Like all first few days at a new job, it was rough and I felt lost. But the people working with me have been very helpful and willing. I am tired, some days I'm catching the bus at 5:15am! Geez that is early! You know it's too early to be at work when the coffee places aren't even open. Uff-da. But I've been doing well. The new job keeps me busy so I don't have time to realize I'm tired. There is a lot of reorganizing to do, busy work but very necessary.

I move in a week from tomorrow! Can't hardly wait!

I saw one of the sweetest things on the bus a few days ago. Two fellas get on the bus and I couldn't quite tell if they were special, or just socially awkward. One of them had a baseball cap with the Batman logo on it, big coke bottle glasses, and his face twitched as he rode chatting with his friend. His friend was a short round fella, with short blonde hair that was receding and a constant smile on his chubby face. But the best part about the second guy was that he had a lunch box. And not just a lunch box but a WWE lunch box with I bet, his favorite wrestler on it. He carried that piece of middle school memorabilia with pride and it warmed my heart. The two just sat across from each other and chatted. Two friends coming home from work, thick glasses and lunch boxes and all. Very sweet.

I finished reading another book by Jodi Picoult, Perfect Match, god I love her writing! She is so good, and raises such interesting questions in the most intricate scenarios. I wanted to pick up another one of her books right after, but that is just too much. She really makes me think and I have to let the story that i just finished sit within for a while. So I'm reading Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs. He's a fun read. He has lead sch an interesting life, being raised by his mom's shrink, having gone through AA, and just being an intriguing person. He writes about his life and some of what he describes you think "That is so outlandish, it couldn't have happened." But sure enough it happened to him. I love getting that insight to other peoples lives.

It was snowing here today. Winter is coming and it's kind of nice. Keep in mind this is coming from a girl who was away from a Minnesota winter for a year. We'll see if I change my tune come January.

1 comment:

  1. I need to read more Augusten Borroughs. I've only read his first two books, but I really enjoyed them. I've never read Jodi Picoult but maybe I'll check it out. We seem to agree on our literary tastes. ;)

    I actually haven't read anything good in awhile!

    ReplyDelete