Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What I'm reading

I started a book last night called The Film Club. It's a memoir by a fellow named David Gilmour who's son hated school and David said "Fine. You can drop out on one condition. You watch three movies a week, my choice." And it's about how father and son grew together and individually through talking about these movies. I'm only 70-some pages into it and I've already found new movies and new authors I want to investigate. I'm not sure I agree with letting my kid drop out and watch movies but it worked for them. And this story is their journey.
I love reading about other peoples lives. It's so interesting. Everyone has a story to tell.
In case you are wondering here are a few other memoirs I've read that are really good.
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
All Souls by Michael Patrick Macdonald
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
Chronicles by Bob Dylan (yes that Bob Dylan)
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
That should be enough to get you going if you feel inclined to pick one up.
It's Tuesday and it's the season finale of Hell's Kitchen. My friend Katya has hosted the weekly gathering almost since the beginning and we've all gotten really into it. I don't know what I'm going to do with my Tuesday nights after this week. Maybe we'll just have to get together and eat. I like that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment